Between 2009 and 2020, the government of Canada invested over $1 billion in quantum research to build the footing for Canada’s global leadership in quantum science. In Budget 2021, the Canadian government proposed further investments of $360 million over seven years to:
- Launch a National Quantum Strategy
- Bolster the growth of companies and talent in the quantum industry
- Encourage the development of quantum-ready technologies
- Solidify Canada’s leadership in quantum research
Quantum technology might not become commercially available for another decade. Nonetheless, it’s time for the government of Canada and Canadian businesses and academia to join forces to elevate Canada as a global leader in the quantum industry.
Quantum Key for Canada’s Long-Term Economic Prosperity
Although quantum computing has huge implications for information security, data protection isn’t the only focus of the National Quantum Strategy. The government of Canada points out the long-term growth and resilience of Canada’s economy as one of the goals of its quantum program.
When the adoption of quantum technology begins, quantum computing will replace traditional computing in sectors like communications, navigation, cybersecurity, and healthcare. As quantum becomes a reality, governments and businesses worldwide will gradually ramp up investments in the field to hopefully gain a competitive advantage.
Here’s where early investments and research efforts can have huge benefits over the long run. If Canada does become a leader in the quantum industry, here’s what can happen:
- Lucrative job opportunities in research, software and hardware engineering, technical support, sales, and other fields can attract highly skilled specialists to Canada – both from within the country and from abroad
- Through the accumulation of talent, Canada can accelerate quantum research and adoption ahead of its competitors
- Canadian businesses specializing in quantum computing can reap considerable benefits as local and international clients start addressing them to transfer their systems and products into a quantum-ready state
3 Pillars of Canada’s Quantum Leadership
We believe that the quantum future of Canada depends on these three factors:
- Government support, whether in the form of standards, regulations, or investments
- Collaboration between researchers, scientists, businesses, and the government
- Attention to the cybersecurity aspects of quantum computing, not just its technological and economic possibilities
Canada has the potential to become a global quantum hub if we do everything right. However, although economic prosperity is important, businesses, academia, and the government shouldn’t forget about the negative impact of quantum computing on cybersecurity.
Quantum Cybersecurity for Long-Term Success
If you, as a decision-maker or a business owner, wish to achieve long-term success and resilience, you must start taking concrete steps right now to prepare for the quantum future.
We consider quantum cybersecurity a priority because quantum computing is an immediate and devastating threat to all cryptographic methods that are today considered industry-standard. Although quantum computers have good implications for technology, research, and society, they’ll also be able to crack any data encryption method we use today.
For Canada, preparing for tomorrow isn’t just about attracting global talent or leading quantum research efforts. It’s also about adapting new data protection measures and standards to quantum technology.
Quantum-safe cryptography is foundational for Canada’s chances of securing the position of a global leader in the quantum industry. By thinking about the essentials first, we’ll be able to build the basis for Canada’s quantum leap far, far into the future.
Quantropi for Canada’s Quantum Cybersecurity
At Quantropi, we’re firm proponents of future-proofing cybersecurity. Rather than react to changes in the cybersecurity industry as they happen, we believe that governments and businesses should adopt a forward-thinking approach to protect themselves against potential threats long before they become a problem.
We’re the only cybersecurity company in the world providing the 3 prerequisites for cryptographic integrity: Trust, Uncertainty, and Entropy (TrUE). Powered by quantum mechanics expressed as linear algebra, our patented TrUE technologies establish Trust between any two parties via quantum-secure asymmetric MASQ™ encryption (coming soon); ensure Uncertainty to attackers, rendering data uninterpretable forever, with QEEP™ symmetric encryption; and provide Quantum Entropy as a Service (QEaaS) with SEQUR™ – ultra-random key generation and distribution to enable secure data communications. All Quantropi’s TrUE technologies are accessible via our flagship QiSpace™ platform.
Remember, if you don’t take action now, the ship will have sailed by the time quantum technology starts showing signs of adoption. With Quantropi, you can start laying a foundation for the quantum-ready infrastructure of tomorrow with the resources of today.